Attaining close and seamless coordination between several departments, groups, organizations and systems by realigning the way staff work, how the organisation is structured and how technology is used.
Typically organisations go through several stages in transforming themselves:
- Recognizing the need to change and gaining consensus among stakeholders that dramatic change is necessary
- Agreeing what form the change should take, the objectives of the change and a vision that describes a better future
- Understanding what the organisation is changing from and what needs to change in detail
- Designing the new organisational way of working and its support and management
- Testing and implementing changes, usually in waves, typically over a number of years
- Bedding in the change so that the organisation cannot move back to how it was and achieves the intended benefits